Thursday, July 7, 2011

Nebraska My GreatGrandparent Elliotts

James B Ellliott born in 1844 -my great-great-granfather steals my heart-I knew little about him until my father died . It was then that I found his sumaary of the Civil War-with the Iowa Volunteers he was a medic who went to Vicksburg, Shiloh. Was on Shermn's March to the Sea-A scholar and farmer, he was born in Morgan Town Ohio then went to Iowa at age nine-Millersburg. Of the war he wrote that children could only lisp the names of those not returning, that mothers and house wives were heartbroken and weeping in the streets.With 37 pages he writes of every battle-shortage of supplies, and much more-a man with marvelous humor he married Hannah Lou Carson's from W. Virginia. Making their way to Clay and Hamilton. the Elliott's stayed in Trumbull, the Carson's going across the way to Hamilton in Grand Island. Jane and Adrian the parents of Hannah Lou among them. two of her boys were taken during the Civil War-on 16 was starved a prisoner off South Carolina-the other in Battle Arriving in Ne. Jane (Conlley began a church-Congregational-in her home. With James Burdett farming in Trumbull, Clay, there were six children-later one a North Platte councilman. Along with farming, the Elliotts handled the Post Office. My grandmother Stella walked from Trumbull to Brady to deliver a cow to her sister Daisy/ I can't for the life of me fathom how long that walk must have taken-Where did they sleep?-What about quick sand? How long did it take? 1895-I can't imagine but wish I could have gone along.Just a bit of history of the Platte Valley-My love-history and Ne. Signing off to finish sharpening book-Candleglow Dreams Nebraska-History-fiction-romance-

No comments:

Post a Comment