Thursday, June 23, 2011

World War II Recipes From Trumbull

Last week on my way to Crete where our son lives, I had the entire beautiful day to wind y way to where I was going. We have a cabin on what I call Golden Pond, just this side of Crete. Wanting to have the best of times out on the prairie, I decided I would take a quick detour though Trumbull. My great grand mother came from Virgina to Iowa and finally settled thee as her son-in-law JB. Elliott, a Civil War Veteran obtained land for homesteading. Just north of there, in Grand Island Country, her son Matthew inherited his land from the government-Thus he Carson's and Elliott's settled in on fertile land. My goal was to go to the neatly organized Trumbull cemetery to see Jane's stone. While I didn't succeed in finding her, i did find a quaint little antique store in the tiny quiet town. As was, the man carried WW11memoriabila and that which the soldiers wore. I chatted for quite some time with the couple feeling I should buy something. I said, "Would you have a war time cook book?". Luck of Luck, the friendly women cane back with one of the best-having thumbed though the pages, I am going to leave a recipe for Orange Cream-one of the easier fixes. Remember-sugar wasn't easy to come by-therefore-molasses and Karol syrup served as popular substitutes-For orange cream-: Dissolve 1pkg. lemon jelly powder in 1 cup hot water-add 1 pkg lemon jelly dissolve in 1 cup warm water and cool=Add 1/2 cup sugar,1cup orange juice-3 tbsp. grated orange rind, then fold in 1 cup cream whipped. Chill 2 hours and garnish with fresh fruit-There you have it-a simple recipe-I will bring more complicated cooking your way and food facts of interest pertaining to the canteen and the war years-a done by the Union Aide ladies whose notes I inherited-

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing what you can find in the least likely places. I bet you had a grand time talking with them. I know I would have had a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete