Sunday, September 4, 2011

Safely Sharing Yourself

To women 50 and over like me-I still remember the day I was lamenting about something embarrassing happening to me on the Internet. It had to do with  expressing an opinion to a group  on the internet then opening up face book and staring at what I had said. It was a comment about dealing with marriage and fighting an illness at the same time...not something I wanted my entire hometown to read.
   I told my son who is a "thinking-sensible" kind of guy-a head football coach for a college- what had happened  In his pragmatic, sensible way, he said, "Mom, once you've said it on the I-Net you've said it to the world. It happened again with twitter. Something I'd said was right there in the local newspaper. That time it was a comment on nature(-much better.) On  a more serious note, what my son said is true. He and his wife know the workings of the social media, due to age and schooling.
     I grew up with the T.V. which didn't keep track of what I said. In reverse, I kept track of what said. I confess. This happened two other times. Something I said on Linked-in about being a writer was on Messenger the next morning. I panicked. It was personal and meant only for people who write....I am tell myself  to only say those things that are fine for the whole world to hear. I am sharing this as a reminder, hoping to spare you the same humiliation.
    Another word of caution-You also have to watch what you push to get where you want to go. I was in a hurry to get to face book to see my granddaughter's latest posted picture.To get to my destination, I pushed on the first large blue F I saw. It was a Singles Dating advertising service. When I got to my page, I saw that I was had just become a member. I was horrified. They were all young men. I am a married grandmother.Sometimes I think the goal is to trap us into these embarrassing situations. We are pushed  to sign permission's. I am to blame, but I get tired or frivolous and push O.K. just to get the application out of my sight. Having the world read what was meant for a few can be a nightmare. One feels naked and there's nothing to cover up with. Life has continued, but I'm striving to remember to say it with roses. In other words, to say only those things the world can hear. Wishing you Happy and Safe Expressions`-Barb

No comments:

Post a Comment